Under the Experimentation tab within an exercise, instructors have the option to "Add Data Collection."
Essay Question: Long essay questions which may include text formatting controls.
1. In the Exercise tab, select "+Add Data Collection" and then "Essay Question."
2. Fill in the following:
- Full Name: ex. Panel 1: Skeleton Comparison
- Short Name: ex. Panel 1
3. Create the essay question in the Compose Question box. Set text to "Scrollable."
- Add an equation by selecting the Sum icon.
- Add a table by selecting the Table icon. Add the number of rows and columns, headers, and check the box for "Condensed" and "Border."
- Add an image by selecting the image icon. Browse to, or drag/drop, the image. Select "Source" to add alternative text for the uploaded image. Within the image bracket, type: alt:"[alternative text]" then select "OK."
4. Within “Text formatting options,” select other formatting options the student will need to complete the essay.
Bold, Italic, Underline and Bullet list are the default. Those can be written over by selecting the down arrow to change, or deleted by selecting the trash can to the right of the option.
5. Word limit: 10000 is the default. However, HOL changes the Word Limit to “Off”.
The options for this are controlled through the pull-down menu to the right.
6. Select "More options."
- Submit over limit: Allows the student to submit work if over the word limit: Yes or No. The default “No” is used since HOL turns the word limit off.
- Contains math: Allows equations: Yes or No
- Layout: Can allow special characters. All else should remain as the default.
- Details: Edit as needed
- Add the answer to Sample Answer.