Canvas Instructors can integrate the HOL Platform using LTI credentials from HOLCloud. If you need help locating the LTI credentials please follow the steps in How do I find the LTI hooks for my course?
This set of instructions helps you create apps in Canvas and link them in your Assignments. You will first need to create an app for the course to connect HOL Cloud to Canvas. If you want to allow HOL Cloud to pass grade information to Canvas, you will then also create apps for each lesson.
1. Navigate to the "Settings" page in your Canvas course. Then, locate and select the “Apps” tab near the top of the page.
2. Select “View App Configurations” under the “Apps” tab.
3. Select the “+ App” button.
4. Fill in the "Manual Entry" App window with the LTI Credentials provided to you on HOL Cloud. Select "Submit."
If you are unsure of where to find the LTI Credentials (URL, Key, Secret, and Custom Parameters), follow the link to the help article How do I find the LTI hooks for my course?
Please read Which hook is best? to help you decide which course or lesson hook you should use in your course.
The "Domain" will always be "https://myhol.holscience.com." The privacy must be set to PUBLIC for the grading feature to work.
The "Custom Fields" section is for the individual Course Hook or Lesson Hook that will be associated with each app.
5. Select "Yes, Install Tool."
6. Repeat steps 1–5 for to add apps for each lesson.
Adding an app with the Course Hook links HOL Cloud to your Canvas course. Adding apps for each Lesson Hook allows auto grading and data passing between HOL Cloud and Canvas. Students MUST select each lesson link for auto grading to successfully transfer grades.
When you reach Step 4, paste the lesson hook (remember to use the mlesson hooks) from HOL Cloud that matches the lesson of the App you are creating in the "Custom Fields" text box.
7. Once you have created all of the Apps you will need, navigate to the modules page.
8. Select the "+ Module" button in the upper right-hand corner.
9. Fill in the name of the module. Select "Add Module."
10. Select the "+" button in the upper right-hand corner of the module.
11. Select the "Assignment" dropdown, then select "External Tool."
12. Select the App you created that contains the Course hook.
13. Select "Add Item." The link will appear in your module.
14. Select the link to complete the linking process.
The link will direct you to your HOL Cloud Dashboard (this ensures that your Canvas Course is linked to HOL Cloud). This link should remain unpublished, as students do not need to use it, they will use the lesson hooks.